For last month's Inspiration Elevator reveal, I created a layout on which I had done a lot of layering with stencils. That layout actually followed the creation of this piece, and I have finally made the time to share the details of how I did it. These are inspired by something I saw on Ronda Palazzari's blog last fall, although I think I executed this differently than she did.
Sarah went to the Kitchener ScrapFest with me and she got a free with purchase item of a chipboard album. She decided she wanted to use it for some birthday photos, but the front chipboard piece had a black flocked spider web on the upper left corner - not appropriate for a birthday book - so she asked me if I'd alter it. She didn't want to just cover it with patterned paper. I was happy to give it a go!
The first thing I did was apply a coat of white gesso to both covers, and allowed them to dry. The flocking was now white but still very obviously a spider web. Next, I started playing with my stencils and acrylic paints. I started with some larger, more open patterns.
The photo above is the front cover, almost complete. Then I remembered to grab the camera. ;-) Can you see how there are some large patterns over which are layered smaller patterns? I really took a close look at my templates - I have a large template of 3 houses, but the "smoke" coming out of the chimney of one of the houses is a little collection of hearts, so I smattered the hearts here and there on the top layer.
OK, here is the back cover with a coat of gesso and 1 coat of acrylic layers. You can see a variety of colours and patterns, including some large patterns.
Next, I started the second layer, painting right over the first layer, so the first layer peeks through the second layer.
I wanted to tone down the background white and seal the cover somewhat, so I decided to mist the covers. I used a Dylusions mist and it really covered the patterns in a bold manner. Although I was initially surprised at how not translucent it is (some watercolour inks, paints and mists are quite translucent), I don't mind, since this is a happy colour and the book is for a happy occasion.
For this layout, I used a similar technique, but filled in some light spots with black acrylic paint, for symbolic reasons. I did not spray over it with any mists, so the colours pop against the black.
Thanks for popping by! Next time you visit, I will be sharing this month's Inspiration Elevator reveal - I can't wait to show you!